Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

New York increases exhaust noise fine from $150 to $1000 blaming illegal street racing

If it isn't New York it's California and if it isn't California it is New York. These states seem to absolutely hate car enthusiasts. New York is raising their exhaust noise fine from $150 to $1000 dollars under the guise of preventing street racing.

Click here to enlarge

Well, street racing is already illegal so this just seems like an excuse to target people for fines. At this point is there anything New York might do that will surprise anyone?

The new bill is called SLEEP (very creative guys) and shops that install exhausts could potentially be shut down as well:

New York is moving in this direction in part because of concerns about the noise created by illegal drag racing throughout the state. The New York Times highlighted that drag racing culture in October of last year, proposing that the trend had increased greatly during the COVID-19 pandemic.

More extreme actions to cut down on drag racing noise have been proposed, too; Gothamist reports that one State Senator has proposed night-time speed cameras positioned anywhere that street racing is purported to be happening. Another lawmaker has offered up noise-detecting tools to identify and track loud cars as they drive by.

The bill also includes a provision for shops installing those parts, culminating in the state pulling a shop's operating license if they are caught installing overly-loud mufflers three times.
    If you own a shop in New York and install aftermarket exhausts you are in their crosshairs.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think the point is to target street racers without having to actually catch them racing. They figure this will dissuade them from cruising around to the race spots. I imagine Philly will do something like this soon, as they have a long history of street racing (although I think the ATV / dirt bike riders on the streets are garnering most of the attention in Philly right now; looks like a DMX video some nights - Ruff Ryders! Probably even worse in NYC: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inq...outputType=amp).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    I think the point is to target street racers without having to actually catch them racing.
    You're onto something. The cop can just say it was 'too loud' without any decibel measure recorded for proof.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You're on to something. The cop can just say it was 'too loud' without any decibel measure recorded for proof.
    That is how it is in MA. The wording of the law is BULL$#@!. It says anything that alters the sound the vehicle made from the factory is illegal $250 fine + 2 points. How the $#@! does a LEO know what every car sounded like from the factory? They give out tickets all the time that go on your driving record which then increases your insurance costs for the next 5 years. You have to burn a vacation day to fight it in court. Such BS. It is also a BS reason to basically pull over any car they want. Your exhaust was 'loud', let's chat.

I once was pulled over years ago at a light. Light goes green and two Harley Davidsons in front of me with aftermarket exhausts pull away literally LOUD AS $#@! I barely touch the throttle and bamn light blue lights come on. The $#@! LEO just wanted to harass me cuz I was a kid. He had ZERO right to pull me over had I been in any sane state with normal exhaust laws.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    yea im out of here next year. i just ordered a full titanium non resonated exhaust for my e92 m3 Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spectacula Click here to enlarge
    yea im out of here next year. i just ordered a full titanium non resonated exhaust for my e92 m3 Click here to enlarge
    Bro, I'm out of Cali too. There's plenty of states that you can live in that are still America.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I dont mind this too much, the amount of young kids with the insanely loud burbles around the city during all times of the night, burbling and popping non stop is and has gotten annoying.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5soko Click here to enlarge
    I dont mind this too much, the amount of young kids with the insanely loud burbles around the city during all times of the night, burbling and popping non stop is and has gotten annoying.
    This is the cause of it all. People that actually like cars are being piled in with the obnoxious retards that think straight-through exhausts and backfiring are cool.

In the UK we have all sorts of $#@!box 4 cylinder cars driving around making loud bangs just because and as a result we're getting similar changes to legislation.

My expectation is that these rules will be used as a catch-all for getting rid of anti-social vehicles and that real enthusiasts will be left alone. That's how previous such changes have been used.

I have no sympathy for people with straight piped exhausts that spend their evenings cruising between shopping centre car parks being obnoxious, they all deserve crushing.